Gift for fire family in the right spirit.

Debbie Layton and her son Jaydon, whose house was damaged in a fire, receive a cheque for £500 from Jacqueline Lesley of the Psychic and Spiritual Fellowship.

A mother from Gunthorpe who narrowly escaped with her six-year-old son from a devastating house blaze has thanked a well-wisher who gave her £500 to get back on her feet.

Debbie Layton and son Jaydon became trapped in their home, in Cheviot Avenue, Gunthorpe, Peterborough, after a fire broke out in their lounge on the evening of March 31. Jaydon had to be dropped from an upstairs bedroom window into the arms of his grandmother, Linda Layton, while Debbie (28) was rescued by firefighters after falling unconscious in the smoke. But despite escaping with their lives, the contents of the house were destroyed in the incident, and Debbie and Jaydon have been forced to live with Linda since the blaze.

To help them, Jacqueline Lesley, chairwoman of the Psychic and Spiritual Fellowship, a group which meets every month at the Paston & Gunthorpe Community Centre, has donated £500 to the family. Debbie said: “I have never even met the lady before, but my mum and her friend go to the fellowship meetings regularly. I was told Jacqueline was sending me a cheque for £200, but when I opened the post, it was for £500. I couldn’t believe it. It was a real shock, but it is a lovely gesture, and is very much appreciated”.

“Almost everything in the house was destroyed, so this will be a really nice start to getting our lives back on track. One of the main things I need is a bed for Jaydon, and this will go towards that, but there is so much to do.”

Jacqueline, on behalf of the PSF who have in the past has donated money to a variety of schools and families in the city, said she was very pleased to be able to give Debbie the donation. She said: “We always put all the group’s profits back into the community for a good cause, whether it’s a charity or a specific case, such as this one. A friend of the Layton family told me about what had happened, and we thought it was an excellent way to use the money, and were delighted to help.”

Debbie’s mum Linda, who lives close by, added: “It is a lovely gesture, and is going to a very good cause. Every penny counts, and it is helping her rebuild her life. The fire could have resulted in my not having a daughter or grandson, so it was very frightening, but it is nice that someone can be so helpful afterwards.”